Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Unstable GPS lock

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Unstable GPS lock Empty Unstable GPS lock Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:58 pm

zzzaf

Hi everyone.
Bought a X380 after having a wltoys v222 for a while to practice on.
Unfortunately I cant get a stable Gps lock.
I get a lock after about 5 mins, but keep losing it and the red light flashes at random intervals between the green.
Have connected to the ground station software and found the number of satellites keeps changing from none,
then three then 6 then back to none, then three etc. Have only flown it around in the garden and cant trust it to go any higher.
Have done the gps mod, and updated the firmware - no difference.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

2Unstable GPS lock Empty Re: Unstable GPS lock Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:14 pm

M_Levitation

M_Levitation

I Heard that some of the 380's that left the factory had their GPS installed upside down.
A visitor to the factory was told this by a representative and asked that any owners having problems with the GPS should check this also.

This was around October I think, When did you purchase?

Thats the only thing I can think it might be.

When using the ground station, did you press 'READ' before you started making changes?

If the issue was present before you 1st used the ground station then you can rule out any user error that may have happened from changing something by mistake and saving the error to the FC.

3Unstable GPS lock Empty Re: Unstable GPS lock Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:50 pm

zzzaf

M_Levitation, thanks for your response. I don't recall making any changes via ground station, but not sure. Is there any way to set to default.
I bought it at the beginning of December. Which way round should the GPS unit be fitted?  Mine is fitted with connector and Tx light facing the main board.

Last edited by zzzaf on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : made mistake)

4Unstable GPS lock Empty Re: Unstable GPS lock Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:01 am

M_Levitation

M_Levitation

Its not wired up wrongly, the unit was put in upside down. (which would kinda make sense as to why one minute it work and the next it wont.)
I will have to check whether the writing should face up or down and post back here when Im sure.

5Unstable GPS lock Empty Re: Unstable GPS lock Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:22 am

Don

Admin

I've just spent a hour crawling through Facebook for the post by Oswaldo Loor after a trip to the factory he post a PIC regarding upside down GPS module I've now put it on the forum
https://xk380.forumotion.co.uk/t106-gps-module#295

https://xk380.forumotion.co.uk

6Unstable GPS lock Empty Re: Unstable GPS lock Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:35 am

M_Levitation

M_Levitation

Thanks Don, you saved me trawl that I was going to do this morning.

7Unstable GPS lock Empty Unstable GPS lock Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:43 am

zzzaf

Thank guys. Really appreciate your efforts.
Checked the the gps module. It is indeed fitted the right way up, the writing side facing up, ie the dome side and not the copper tape side.
Any ideas what may be the problem, faulty gps module, cable, mainboard? Crying or Very sad

8Unstable GPS lock Empty Re: Unstable GPS lock Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:45 pm

M_Levitation

M_Levitation

As it is not in upside down it looks like there could be a fault with either module or mainboard. The cable would be an easy test with a multi-meter to rule that out.

Check the solder points where the connectors attach to the GPS and on the board looking for 'dry solder joint'. It will appear dull grey looking, at not like the shiny silver solder points that the rest have.

Other than that, I not sure what to suggest next. Apart from replacing the module as its the cheaper of the 2 parts that may be at fault, and then the mainboard.

How tight for a bit though others may suggest something else before you part with any more cash.

9Unstable GPS lock Empty Re: Unstable GPS lock Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:02 pm

zzzaf

Thanks M_Levitation will try your suggestions and see how it goes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum