Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shielding for the GPS sensor

+2
kitia
Don
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shielding for the GPS sensor Empty Shielding for the GPS sensor Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:34 am

Don

Admin

Thought id share how i did the GPS sensor shield

First 5 pictures are before the mod has been done All done with the 380 sitting on my pc desk

This is first pick up of satellites just 3 sats but then that is indoors

Shielding for the GPS sensor 111

This was after a few minutes warming up still only 4 sats

Shielding for the GPS sensor 211

The next 3 pictures are the rest of what FlightCtrl is picking up

Shielding for the GPS sensor 311

Shielding for the GPS sensor 411

Shielding for the GPS sensor 511

On the table ready to start elastic band round legs and over battery compartment just to make sure it don't come open will Velcro battery in the near future

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9511

I started by removing the legs 2 allen screws in each gently lift end closest to centre and then it will slide and lift also towards the centre if you have it eyes towards you front left leg will have a sensor front will have a cable to be disconnected rear left is empty and rear right also has a sensor

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9512

Legs off showing sensors and cable

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9514

Now the screews
3 on the end of each arm

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9513

1 on each arm between LED covers and where the legs were legs on would make near on impossible to remove these ones

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9515

3 on each side of the belly

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9516

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9517

double check you took out all the screws
Gently using finger nails etc pop open the casing i went round the arms first and it just pops open with no force
slowly left top and you can get to the gps cable gently lift out of its socket DONT pull the wires there is a small lip each end you can use to lift until it comes out

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9518

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9519

The brains

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9520

Turn top over and now you can see the copper shield

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9521

lay the cable towards the front this will prevent it hanging down and touching the main board Now cover with self adhesive Copper / Aluminium you can also shield the cable if you remember to insulate it if you do

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9522

I have also placed some gaffer tape over the centre to make sure it wont short out
Now its ready for putting back together don't forget the GPS cable and the one in the leg

Shielding for the GPS sensor Img_9523

The next 2 picture show the result i got agin this was after a couple of minutes warming up

Shielding for the GPS sensor 611

Shielding for the GPS sensor 711

Last edited by Don on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

https://xk380.forumotion.co.uk

2Shielding for the GPS sensor Empty Re: Shielding for the GPS sensor Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:55 am

kitia

Thanks a lot. This is what I needed as I have never taken this quad apart!

3Shielding for the GPS sensor Empty Re: Shielding for the GPS sensor Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:05 am

drewpy46

Hi Don,
What is the silver tape you have used at the start?
Could you give the description.

Thanks

4Shielding for the GPS sensor Empty Re: Shielding for the GPS sensor Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Don

Admin

It's self adhesive aluminium tape had it sitting in the cupboard for a few years I new it would come in handy one day

5Shielding for the GPS sensor Empty Re: Shielding for the GPS sensor Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:42 pm

Doberz

Thanks a ton for this!

I was able to follow your directions and went from 4 to 16 satellites!

I made a video version of how to do this so that it can reach more people outside of these forums.

Thanks again!

(Clicky Link)

6Shielding for the GPS sensor Empty Re: Shielding for the GPS sensor Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:02 am

gmm57

Is it possible to use aluminium cooking foil for this, then cover it with duct tape (would save buying a roll of aluminium tape !)

7Shielding for the GPS sensor Empty Re: Shielding for the GPS sensor Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Don

Admin

gmm57 wrote:Is it possible to use aluminium cooking foil for this, then cover it with duct tape (would save buying a roll of aluminium tape !)

Yep has been done that way would need double sided tape for it to stick then duct tape just incase it was to come a drift as don't want it shorting on the circuit board

Copper I think is best route you can get cheap square self adesive sheets on eBay an places and on other groups its being recommended to solder a wire from the sheet to the earth on the circuit board were battery joins

8Shielding for the GPS sensor Empty Re: Shielding for the GPS sensor Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Don

Admin

Nice glad it worked I found the mod on rcgroups and its definitely doing the rounds and working BTW I have added a clicky link as videos don't seem to work on Mobil's an I've not found a fix for that

9Shielding for the GPS sensor Empty Re: Shielding for the GPS sensor Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:37 pm

freekhead

just to note. if u have old spare laptops like myself, you can get shielding either behind the lcd screen or usually stuck on the motherboard

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum